I wonder how I didn't know something as sinful as Ari Nellikai existed till my recent visit to Mysore. I was overjoyed to find that it was available at the Malleshwaram vegetable market too. Mommy darling taught me how to make yummy Ari Nellikai picke - something I absolutely adore these days. :)
1. 250 grams of Ari Nellikai
2. Salt to taste
3. Hing powder to taste
4. Chilli powder to taste
5. Turmeric powder to taste
6. Jaggery to taste
8. Mustard seeds
1. Remove the seeds from the Ari Nellikai and cut it into small pieces. (This can be quite an uphill task, as I discovered, but the hard labour is totally worth the wonderful finished product.)
2. Heat a little oil in a kadhai and add mustard seeds. Allow them to splutter.
3. Add the hing powder to taste.
4. Add the nellikai pieces and cook on low flame till it gets a little soft.
5. After it gets soft, add salt, chilli powder and turmeric powder to taste and mix well. Cook for a while.
6. When it is mixed well, add crushed jaggery as per taste. Mix well and cook for a while.
That's it, and you get some mouth-watering pickle!