Tuesday, January 4, 2011
I am a big fan of Pav Bhaji, ever since I learnt to eat out. :) I was more than happy when the better half's office boy taught me this recipe. Now I make it at home, and the better half loves it. It's simple to cook, healthy and tasty. I love such one-pot meals, a single dish which is a complete meal in itself.
Ingredients: (for 2 people)
Slices of bread
For the bhaji:
1. 2 large cups of vegetables - peas, corn, cabbage, cauliflower, beans, carrot, etc.(pressure cook with salt to taste)
2. 3-4 medium-sized tomatoes, finely chopped
3. 1/2 capsicum, finely chopped
4. 3 onions, finely chopped
5. Salt to taste
6. Lemon juice to taste
7. Pav Bhaji masala to taste
8. Red chilli powder to taste
9. Turmeric powder to taste
10. Coriander leaves to garnish, finely chopped
11. Hing to taste
12. Mustard seeds for tadka
13. Ginger-garlic paste to taste
14. 6 medium-sized potatoes, pressure cooked with salt to taste, peeled and mashed
1. Heat some oil in a kadhai, and add some hing and mustard seeds. Allow the mustard seeds to splutter. Add the ginger-garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes away.
2. Add the finely chopped onions and cook for a while, adding more oil if necessary. Cook till the onions start turning brown.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for a bit, till the raw smell goes away. Mash the tomatoes till they lose their shape.
4. Add the boiled vegetables, removing the excess water from it. Mix well.
5. Add the capsicum and boiled potatoes, adding salt, pav bhaji masala, turmeric powder and red chilli powder to taste. Mix and cook well.
6. When it is almost done, add the chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice to taste. Mix well.
Toast the bread slices lightly on a tawa, adding butter. Serve the bread with the bhaji, garnishing with finely chopped onions.